Gowling WLG is an international law firm built on the belief that the best way to serve you is to be in tune with your world, aligned with your opportunity and ambitious for your success.
Gowling WLG clients, get access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors and a suite of legal services. With over 1,400 legal professionals across 19 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we're positioned to help you rise to the challenges you face - both today, and tomorrow.
Natural Resources Sector
With rising populations and increased consumption, the global demand for natural resources is seemingly insatiable. This puts an enormous strain on the limited resources available, driving governments, businesses and individuals to seek more productive, innovative, sustainable and commercially viable ways to harness reserves.
Whether you're an individual, business or government, the right legal advice can be crucial to meeting your resource-related goals. You need trusted lawyers who can handle complexity, manage risk and deal with sensitive political issues. That's where Gowling WLG comes in.
Expertise around the world
With a proven ability to advise on all stages of a project, we combine legal expertise from across our international offices to offer you global perspective and specialised local knowledge.
Our lawyers are proactive in identifying the opportunities and risks brought about by industry change, meaning we can add real value beyond legal advice. Members of our team have worked in-house in the resources industry, offering you connections that can support sustained growth.
Why clients work with us
You can rely on us to provide robust, pragmatic and innovative advice, taking the lead on those issues that matter most. We offer you support on achieving your local, national and international business intentions while managing legal risk.
By working with you to achieve your objectives, we can draw from our full-service platform to provide a team of experts who can advise on all stages of your project, from environmental and planning advice to construction and infrastructure, financing (both debt and equity), and commercial arrangements relating to exploration, extraction, processing, trade, supply and transportation.
The challenge of meeting the short-term demands of shareholders while focusing on longer-term growth strategies is dominating the mining landscape. Our expertise in mining is epitomised by acting for exploration and mining companies, sponsors and lenders on projects around the world.
From initial exploration to large-scale production projects, Gowling WLG's mining team offers you in-depth industry experience, extensive international connections and innovative solutions to help your business succeed.
You can rely on our ability to advise on best practice in mining licences, joint venture agreements and mining contracts, benchmarking them against international agreements. No matter the size of your operation, or where your business takes you, our network of domestic and international practitioners can be trusted to provide effective and business-savvy solutions for the mining industry.
Oil & gas
Our established presence in the international oil and gas industry is the result of a thorough understanding of the sector's intricacies and associated risks. We've been intimately involved in the implementation of new natural gas markets, the acquisition, financing (equity and debt) and divestiture of oil and gas exploration and development projects, and the acquisition, divestiture and development of pipeline and refining projects.
As trusted advisers to clients in the upstream, midstream and downstream markets, we also provide strategic counsel on projects related to liquefied natural gas (LNG), oil sands development, and shale gas and shale oil.
From exploration to final delivery to the customer and everything in between, our oil & gas team offers practical, customised solutions to help you maximize the success of your energy project.
Examples of Our Work
- Advised Phoenix Global Mining on its float on the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange and capital raising of US$4.6million in relation to its copper assets in the US.
- Advised Bushveld Minerals Limited on the US$17million acquisition of a 78.8% economic interest in a vanadium mine and plant in South Africa, the demerger of Greenhill Resources Limited - Bushveld Minerals' tin-focused subsidiary now 100% owned by AfriTin Mining - and the admission of AfriTin to AIM.
- Advised Bacanora Minerals Limited on its acquisition of a 50% interest and joint operational control of the Zinnwald Lithium project in Southern Saxony from Solar World Ag, with an option to acquire the remaining 50% for EUR 30 million.
- Acting on the redomicile of Bacanora Minerals Limited from Canada to the UK, whereby dual-listed Bacanora Minerals has entered into a Canadian Plan of Arrangement with its shareholders to exchange their shares in Bacanora Minerals."
- Advised Hummingbird Resources plc on its admission to AIM, strategic investment by the IFC, royalty financing with Anglo Pacific, acquisition of its Yanfolia gold project in Mali from Goldfields and its project finance facility with Taurus Mining Finance.
- Advised AIM-quoted Firestone Diamonds plc on its acquisition of Kopane Diamond Developments plc with assets in Lesotho for £52.7 million and on its US$225 million debt and equity fundraising to build and commission its main treatment plant. This included a senior debt package, mezzanine financing, strategic equity funding, and a secondary placing and open offer.
- Acted for AIM-listed Stellar Diamonds plc in relation to (i) a capital reorganisation; (ii) the issue of secured convertible loan notes and warrants to raise approximately £212 million, (iii) the cancellation of an existing convertible loan note and warrant; and (iv) a conditional subscription to raise £0.5 million.
- Advising Liberum Capital and Cenkos Securities, nominated adviser and broker to AIM listed Summit Germany Limited, on their EURO120 million placing.
- Acting as UK legal counsel to EOG Resources, which has operating assets in the North Sea and East Irish Sea, on various aspects of the business including the negotiation of commercial contracts.
- Advising long-standing client Cape plc, the provider of industrial services to the oil & gas sector, on numerous matters including its introduction to the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange and with regards to the terms of debt financing facilities.
- Acting as UK legal counsel to Upland Resources in relation to various matters including advising on fam-in arrangements and on its IPO to the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange.
- Advising long-standing client Essar Oil on a wide range of matters, including commercial contracts and pensions-related work.
- Acting on numerous high-value domestic and international arbitrations and court proceedings across the upstream, midstream and downstream sectors.
- Advising Synergy Global in connection with the provision of resettlement services to exploration & production companies active in Africa
We build strong relationships by:
- Fostering an internal culture that is, above all, about people and teams, organized around you and focused on collective success
- Recruiting and nurturing ambitious, collaborative and diverse individuals
- Challenging ourselves to serve you better - whether through our network of connections, innovative methodologies or developing more efficient ways to achieve better results
Related Insights & Resources - LINK
News - LINK
4 More London Riverside,
London, SE1 2AU,
DX 132076 London Bridge 4